Five Messages for the Summit for Democracy
The 'Five Messages for the Summit for Democracy' is supported by a group of leading pro-democracy organisations and institutions ahead of the Summit for Democracy.
In the lead-up to the Summit for Democracy, organised by the Biden administration on 9-10 of December 2021, these ‘Five Messages for the Summit for Democracy’ are supported by a leading group of 14 global pro-democracy organisations and institutions. We believe these issues are of crucial importance for advancing democracy worldwide.
An EED-coordinated transatlantic initiative, these Five Messages are being launched prior to the Global Democracy Coalition Forum event, an online forum held over 24 hours on 7 December consisting of webinars with democracy organisations, activists, advocates, experts, academics, students, politicians and thought leaders from all over the world to discuss the challenges, opportunities and solutions to invigorate democracy worldwide.
The Five Messages are as follows:
- Show solidarity with the world’s democrats. Democracies must deploy resources more effectively to assist the citizens of autocracies and weak democracies.
- Renew international settings. Democracies must reform international institutions so that they reflect and promote democratic values.
- Scale-up support to independent, ethical media and the overall information ecosystem to ensure access to accurate information while addressing mis-/disinformation. Democracies must promote independent, verified, and fact-checked information.
- Strengthen and support existing structures and encourage the creation of new structures and systems to enable greater transparency, accountability, and co-ordination among governments, technology companies, and civil society. Democracies must address the business models of internet platforms and algorithms that actively push harmful, violent content.
- Put our own house in order. Democracies must restore their credibility.
To date, 14 organisations on both sides of the Atlantic have signed up to support these Five Messages, including: European Endowment for Democracy; International IDEA; National Endowment for Democracy; National Democratic Institute; The Carter Center; International Republican Institute; Parliamentary Centre; International Foundation for Electoral Systems; The Oslo Center; European Partnership for Democracy; Westminster Foundation for Democracy; Demo Finland; Forum 2000; Netherlands Institute for Multiparty Democracy.