Despite significant progress since its 2011 revolution, Tunisia faces a number of challenges in assuring a steady democratic transition, not least high unemployment, insecurity, and regional disparities.
In terms of the democratisation process, there has been progress with the introduction of legislation on anti-corruption and combating violence against women. Civil society has contributed to the fight against corruption and inequality, promotion of citizenship, as well as individual liberties.
EED approach and added value
- Support for marginalised groups and rural regions
- Support for grassroots organisations with no or little experience in grants management
- Fill core funding gaps for some of the better-established organisations that have found it increasingly difficult to attract support from other donors as priorities have shifted
Examples of supported initiatives
- Initiatives focusing on participatory democracy, youth civic engagement, and accountability at the local level
- Organisations working on women’s rights
- Initiatives promoting integration of human rights and gender perspectives in political programmes