The political landscape in and around Palestine remains challenging. The lengthy internal political deadlock continues despite the Fatah-Hamas reconciliation agreement of October 2017. Many Palestinians feel disillusioned by the stalled political process, with young people in particular increasingly frustrated. A clampdown on freedom of expression by the Palestinian authorities is further hindering democratisation efforts.
EED approach and added value
- Focus on initiatives aimed at engaging youth and local communities
- Support small and inexperienced groups as well as more politically sensitive initiatives
Examples of supported initiatives
- Initiatives encouraging alternative forms of community civic engagement
- Civic activists reaching out to marginalised young people and youth groups
- Support for organisations working on sensitive issues