The 2019 elections demonstrated the challenges still faced in Tunisia, with widespread distrust of the political elites in power since the 2011 revolution reflected in the election of a new largely-inexperienced political class. Key issues to be addressed today include: the ongoing democratic transition, high unemployment, insecurity and regional disparities.
The country has noted some democratic progress in recent years with the introduction of legislation on anti-corruption and legislation addressing violence against women. Civil society has contributed to the fight against corruption and inequality and has succeeded in promoting civil citizenship and civil liberties.
EED approach and added value
- Support for grassroot CSOs in marginalised and/or rural regions
- Support for youth-led organisations with no or little experience in grant management
Examples of supported initiatives
- Initiatives focusing on participatory democracy, youth civic engagement and accountability, including at the local level
- Organisations working on women’s rights and on LGBT+ rights
- Initiatives advocating for the promotion of human rights and good governance