The political situation in Palestine remains extremely challenging, relations deteriorating with Israel and ongoing internal political deadlock between Fatah in the West Bank and Hamas in the Gaza Strip, and a domestic political system marked by weakness and stagnation. The Palestinian Authority, governed by Fatah, is considerably weakened and many Palestinians feel disillusioned by the stalled political process, with young people in particular increasingly frustrated. A clampdown on freedom of expression by the Palestinian authorities is further hindering democratisation efforts. In addition, international funding to Palestine has decreased significantly of late.
EED approach and added value
- Focus on initiatives aimed at engaging youth and local communities
- Support small and inexperienced groups as well as more politically sensitive initiatives
Examples of supported initiatives
- Initiatives encouraging alternative forms of community civic engagement
- Civic activists reaching out to marginalised young people and youth groups
- Support for organisations working on sensitive issues