In recent years, Kosovo* has struggled with a number of internal political crises, which have hindered the reform agenda and democratic consolidation. Corruption, cronyism and political clientelism are widespread and the political system is focused around strong leaders rather than underlying ideologies. While civil society is free and vibrant, it is also subject to ongoing pressure from the authorities. The media landscape is relatively free, if saturated, but the quality of reporting is poor.
EED approach and added value
- Provide support to emerging civic actors, particularly grassroots organisations
- Support politically sensitive actors and actions
- Support independent media
- Support youth activism
Examples of supported initiatives
- Innovative media platforms and products
- Independent bloggers and activists
- Local organisations working on bridging the Albanian and Serb commun
* All references to Kosovo on this website should be understood to be in compliance with United Nations Security Council resolution 1244 (1999) and without prejudice to the status of Kosovo.