Jordan is situated at the intersection of multiple conflicts, although the situation is considerably more stable than elsewhere in the region from a security point of view. However, many young people are dissatisfied by the slow pace of reform and the lack of employment prospects. The country also hosts millions of refugees, which puts immense pressure on what are already limited resources.
Although the environment for pro-democracy actors remains challenging, a new generation of highly-educated and well-connected activists are engaging their communities at the local and regional levels by employing innovative tools. Most donor activity in the region is focused on humanitarian or development work.
EED approach and added value
- Prioritise initiatives supporting youth engagement and involvement in political life, particularly those who develop innovative and creative approaches.
- Support to independent voices
Examples of supported initiatives
- Organisations promoting awareness raising and facilitating advocacy campaigning
- Innovative media outlets employing satire and digital podcasts to highlight rights and pro-democracy narratives.
- Organisations working with disadvantaged youth to encourage civic participation.